Mabel gatecrashed my weekend, basically. Friday night and Sunday night were supposed to be kid-free zones, and somehow they ended up including a certain four-year-old. This morning I dragged her kicking and screaming to school and left her there, where she stopped screaming as soon as I left the room. When I came back at pickup time I was told she'd thwacked her best friend in the face with a shovel. So that went well.
Last night I packed the children off to bed early and tuned the TV in to one of its rarely watched non-kid channels and spent a happy hour or two making snarky comments about the Oscars on Twitter and Facebook, and even paying attention to the show now and then between frantic typing. Just when they were FINALLY getting to the interesting awards, Mabel woke up and wanted to come down and see what we were watching. Getting her back to sleep made me miss the rest of the show, which was probably just as well since it was after 11pm and I had a raging headache, but it was still a bit of an anticlimax.
Oscar thoughts, randomly:
- None of the dresses really stood out to me, but then I missed most of the red carpet. I liked Amy Adams's feathers, Jennifer Aniston's red, and Jennifer Garner's violet, even if the ruffle did make my husband think of seaweed.
- I prefer my men beardless, but George was still lovely. You can all keep Ben and Hugh and I'll have George, thank you.
- Adele's hair looked good. I like the song but I wish she'd stop singing about "Skyfoal" and how it "crumbowls." The husband was delighted with the Bond tribute but would have liked it to be a bit more in-depth. We may have to just view the whole ouvre again
- I laughed at the boobs song. Sorry, world. On the other hand, if you're so unsure of your content that you have to envelop it in a cloaking device of Shatner coming back from the future to tell you it's not much good, maybe you should just get some better content. Or a host people are well-disposed to from the outset. (Hint: Neil Patrick Harris, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler.)
- This is the third time I've tried to write a post, so this is what you're getting.
- I have Girl Scout cookies. The end.
|Watching Tangled with the Rapunzels|